The Tropic Cinema is looking for a Theater Manager.
Do you love movies? Do you want to be at the center of a thriving, lively, engaged community of film-lovers? Do you have retail operations experience? Do you understand how to provide great customer service? Do you know how to be the boss?
If you answered ‘Yes!’ to all five questions then we might have something to talk about. Tropic Cinema is seeking a new Theater Manager. Our wonderful manager of the past eight years is retiring and we need a stellar candidate to step into some pretty big shoes.
Tropic Cinema is one of the most unique and successful independent cinemas in the country. Operating with a hybrid model, the Tropic shows a mix of first-run Hollywood movies and the best of independent film. We also host community events and special cultural screenings and have a very active venue rental business. Our concessions reflect our interest in providing the very best experience to our patrons. Our 100+ volunteer corps gives us a unique resource for manning the operation.
The Theater Manager manages all day-to-day theater operations. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Theater Manager is responsible for the overall retail operations and facilities management of Tropic Cinema. This position is responsible for the successful operation of the theater and for ensuring that all staff and volunteers provide consistent, high quality customer service. The Theater Manager oversees maintenance and appearance of the facilities and equipment in public areas. They coordinate all special events. They manage the floor staff and the volunteers.
- Provides daily supervision of all floor management staff and volunteers, as necessary.
- Schedules staff and coordinates volunteer shifts.
- Daily duties include working as an active floor manager four days per week during the off-season (March through November), and two days per week during season.
- Manages all staffing issues, including rewarding outstanding performance and dealing with disciplinary actions, while keeping the Executive Director aware of any staff issues that may require attention.
- Oversees manager and volunteer training, including use of POS system
- Maintains working knowledge of all computer software and hardware, and office machines.
- Practices routine upkeep and maintenance of auxiliary devices (hearing assistance and 3D glasses, etc.) and orders peripheral equipment for the projection booth as requested.
- Troubleshoots and repairs all office and POS equipment as necessary, and arranges outside repair and parts ordering.
- Manages concession sales, including pricing and items for sale. Orders all concessions inventory, janitorial paper products, concessions and box office supplies and ticket stock.
- Coordinates maintenance/service of all utilities, air conditioning, communication services, signage, plumbing and janitorial services.
- Schedules and oversees all fire inspections, semi-annual Health Department inspections, sprinkler testing, insurance inspections, and fire equipment recharging.
- Establishes and trains managers in safe food handling, portion control, cash handling, accident and incident response and reporting policies, and sets cleanliness standards for the theater.
- Answers the phone during working hours and responds to customer questions and special event inquiries.
- Provides or secures technical support for POS software.
- Coordinates sick leave and vacation support for floor managers.
- Programs cash registers for new merchandise and pricing on POS system
- Works with the bookkeeper to locate and identify cash shortages/overages, answers questions regarding the daily reports submitted by the floor managers, and works with the bookkeeper to establish adequate reporting forms and procedures.
- Prints the weekly flyer for volunteer distribution.
- Prepares the weekly film schedule upon movie confirmation
- Checks the box office program for accuracy after weekly ticket programming
- Checks the website for accuracy after weekly programming
- Provides schedule to the newspaper and proofs daily ads before publication
- Programs the movies when the programmer is on vacation or out of the office
- Prepares the on-line reporting schedule in the absence of the programmer
Volunteer Management (With the assistance of the Volunteer Coordinator)
- Selects applicants, based on both online, email, and in-person applications (including performing background check via Keys Sheriff Office website)
- Responsible for proper training of all volunteers, regardless of length of service
- Maintain volunteer-staff-customer relations
- Facilitate any actions necessary (including termination) with regards to volunteer performance
- Special Event Coordination
- Works with Executive Director to set Special Event rental pricing
- Prepares monthly Special Event Calendar report for the Executive Director for Board meetings.
- Schedules in-house special events and make sure they are listed on the Tropic Cinema Events Calendar and webpage.
- Schedules and coordinates external special events and make sure they are listed on the Tropic Cinema Events Calendar and webpage.
- Provides event information to the webmaster with any relevant images and information to be posted on the Tropic Cinema webpage.
- Prepares Special Event Agreements and secure deposits for events.
- Determines any technical requirements necessary in advance of the event.
- Schedules projectionist and facilitate technical rehearsal or run-throughs in advance of event.
- Coordinates volunteer assistance with Volunteer Coordinator as needed.
- Coordinates staff assistance for all in-house fundraising events.
- Prepares special materials for in-house events, i.e. prop bags for Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Works with outside organizations and non-profits for annual external events, i.e. Songwriters’ Festival, Mel Fisher, etc.
- Schedules and works end-of-year reward trips with the Monroe County Schools
- Schedules and works with Monroe County Schools for Disney/nature film trips.
- Schedules and works Summer Kids Club movies.
- Schedules and works rental birthday parties.
- Attends and manages major events.
- Procures temporary liquor licensing for the Oscars Gala and other special events
- Makes every effort to be on the floor during movie seating times to be available to customers and volunteers.
- Maintains an “open door’ policy for any customer who wants to speak with the Theater Manager or a Floor Manager’s supervisor.
- Learns about customers’ special needs and requests and anticipates those needs when they come to the theater.
- Relays our policies in a firm but polite manner and makes sure our procedures are explained fully if there are issues.
- Addresses customer issues promptly and shares any major complaints with the Executive Director.
- Exercises patience and restraint with the children’s groups and adults who act like children.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Introduces speakers and guests at the request of the Executive Director as needed.
- Responds to after-hour alarm calls.
- Maintains an up-to-date password log of all online accounts.
- Orders all office supplies, including paper, inks, and maintenance kits for office printers.
- Arranges package pick up from UPS and Fedex.
- Makes bank deposits and collects mail from the post office box.
- Assigns additional cleaning tasks to janitorial service.
- Schedules printer repair services.
- Nominates and prepares annual Unsung Hero nomination with CFFK.
- Picks up gifts and makes arrangements for staff birthdays and other special occasions.
- Arranges holiday decoration of the Cinema.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Must have at least five years of retail operations experience
- Must have at least three years of experience managing subordinates
- A healthy amount of common sense
- Strong attention to detail
- An eye for efficiency and keeping costs down
- Ability to think on one’s feet while under pressure
- Willingness to occasionally work unusual hours
- Ability to read and follow directions on service manuals.
- Curiosity and basic mechanical ability.
- Self-initiative and willingness to fix something or do simple maintenance.
- Situational awareness.
- Self-control, patience with the volunteers, an even temper, and the ability to disagree with a customer today and welcome them with a smile tomorrow.
This is a full-time, exempt position. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. EOE. Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance and paid time off.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org in MS Word or Adobe PDF format by August 31, 2017. Resumes will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Anticipated start date: November 1, 2017.